EPP, AGRI/ENVI Committees
- Follow-up of the implementation of the CAP reform
- Address the issue of soil protection
- Address the issue of air quality and the impact of agriculture
- Promote the genetic diversity of crops and livestock – making use of animal and plant variety for increased resilience
- Promote sustainable agricultural practices
- Ensure high environmental and human safety standards in EU agriculture
- Maintain and enhance vital and healthy agriculture that provide services to society and the environment
- Follow up of the implementation and review of the Water Framework Directive, nitrates and pesticides directive
- Promote sustainable water management, including water reuse
“What is the main goal you would like to achieve as Vice-Chair of the EP Intergroup on Climate Change, Biodiversity and Sustainable Development?”
As President of the “Agriculture and water” working group within the CCBSD intergroup, I intend to gather all stakeholders (farmers, environmental associations, industries) involved on these extremely sensitive dossiers. For this new mandate, I would like discussions to focus notably on the implementation of the CAP, air and soil quality, sustainable water management and the revision of the Water framework Directive.
“If you had to chose one specific issue that you think needs to be primarily tackled during this parliamentary term, what would it be? And why?”
With regard to agricultural policies, it is essential to address the issue of greening. If current CAP dispositions do not reflect realities on the ground, soon farmers will no longer believe in the legitimacy of CAP sustainability tools, and will turn their back on them. As regards water issues, uniform management at EU level while taking into account the specificities of European territories, must be a priority. Our reflection must also consider the consequences of climate change, which are already visible in certain regions, and which call for new water management methods.