S&D, TRAN/ENVI Committees
- Contribute to the development of a competitive and sustainable battery manufacturing sector, aligned with the key elements of circular economy and clean mobility
- Promote clean energy transition and secure fair and sustainable access to raw materials
- Safeguard energy innovation and sustainability
- Aim at rendering the EU a leader in sustainable battery production and use
- Strengthen industrial leadership
- Boost scaled European battery cell manufacturing and a competitive value chain in Europe
- Remove barriers to the deployment of infrastructure for recharging batteries in the EU
- Raise awareness on the importance of research and innovation, alongside financing and investment
- Support the development of electric vehicles in the EU
- Address consistency with the broader EU regulatory and enabling framework on battery production
- Promote a European cell-production within a circular economy and ambitious recycling plans.
“What is the main goal you would like to achieve as Chair of the “friends of the battery” Working Group?”
Cell production is important for electric vehicles but furthermore a significant element for a cleaner and more digitalised industry. To preserve and expand Europe’s industrial and economical capacity , it is vital for the EU to keep up the pace with the worlds industrial centres. Hence, I want to contribute to more awareness for the importance of a European cell production. We need a cross-party and cross-societal initiative to achieve this goal.
“If you had to chose one specific issue that you think needs to be primarily tackled during this parliamentary term, what would it be? And why?”
In this parliamentary term, we have to set the course for an ambitious but reasonable and not disruptive transformation of our mobility. This will also constitute the environment for a significant European Battery production. We are working on that for instance on the regulation for new CO2-limits for cars and vans or on the issue of the still lacking alternative fuels infrastructure.