S&D, ENVI Committee
EPP, AGRI Committee
- What is the main goal you would like to achieve as Co-Chair of the Sustainable Forest Management Working Group?
“As Co-Chair of the “Sustainable Forest Management” Working Group, I would like to contribute to a successful and sustainable forestry sector in Europe. Our forests provide wood, contribute to a good air quality and water balance, to a better civil protection and they provide recreation for our citizens. As we see, our forests have various missions to fulfill. Sustainability is multifaceted: ecological, economic and social sustainability go hand in hand. We must safeguard economically viable and ecologically sustainable forests in Europe as well as their positive aspects for society; only then, the forestry sector is truly sustainable.”
- If you had to choose one specific issue that you think needs to be primarily tackled during this parliamentary term, what would it be? And why?
“- Contribute to a further successful and sustainable development of the forestry sector in Europe
– Contribute to the development, implementation and promotion of multifunctional and sustainable forest management
– Highlight the benefits of the forest economy and strengthen economic opportunities across EU
– Raise awareness on the importance of forests and the forest-based sector in rural areas regarding their economic welfare and creation of jobs
– Safeguard economically viable and ecologically sustainable forests in Europe
– Balance the interests of private and public forest owners in Europe to strengthen their position in relevant policy processes
– Support forest management plans and related biodiversity considerations, to ensure sustainable forest management
– Work on the EU Forest Strategy”