Hybrid Event: BEST Initiative – Past, present and future
Wednesday 7th June 2023, 16:15 – 18:00 CEST
Hybrid EU Green Week partner event held at the European Parliament (Room PHS 4B1) & online
Co-hosted by MEP Stéphane Bijoux & MEP Sara Cerdas
Co-Chairs of the ‘Islands and Overseas Entities WG’ of the European Parliament Intergroup on ‘Climate Change, Biodiversity and Sustainable Development’
(Interpretation EN <> FR provided)
Registrations for physical participation are now closed.
Register here for online participation to the event.
Over 80% of Europe’s biodiversity is found in the European Overseas. These Outermost Regions (ORs) and Overseas Countries and Territories (OCTs) are essential for achieving the EU’s biodiversity and climate targets and commitments. The EU’s ambitious 2030 Biodiversity Strategy requires that the extent of well-managed protected and conserved areas increases to 30% of the EU’s land and sea area. At global level, the EU is signatory to the Kunming-Montreal Global Biodiversity Framework, and committed to achieving the goals and targets set at the CBD COP 15 in December 2022.
With their rich marine, terrestrial and freshwater biodiversity, the ORs and OCTs are among the most vulnerable places on Earth. Action to halt biodiversity loss, avert resource degradation, and adapt to climate change is therefore vital, with a high return on investment in both biodiversity and social outcomes. Since 2011, the BEST Initiative has supported local actors on biodiversity conservation and the sustainable use of ecosystem services, including ecosystem-based approaches to climate change adaptation and mitigation, in the nine EU ORs and 25 OCTs through 153 grants.
This event will take stock of the success stories and lessons learnt of the first 12 years of the initiative, and celebrate a new milestone, with the launch of BESTLIFE2030: a new partnership and a renewed 32 million EUR commitment, for the benefit of people and biodiversity in Europe’s overseas.
16:15 – 16:40 Opening remarks by:
- MEP Stéphane Bijoux
- Bettina Doeser, Head of Unit of ENV D.2. on ‘Natural Capital & Ecosystem Health’, European Commission
- Chantal Marijnissen, Head of Unit of INTPA F.2 on ‘Environment, Sustainable Natural Resources’, European Commission
- Cyrille Barnérias, European and International Relations Director, French Biodiversity Agency
- Boris Erg, Director, IUCN European Regional Office
16:40 – 17:20 12 years of BEST: success stories from the ground:
Zoom in on results from BEST RUP, LIFE4BEST, BEST2.0, BEST2.0+:
- Christèle Allaud, Caribbean Regional Focal Point – BEST2.0+, LIFE4BEST, BEST RUP programmes
- Michelle Perello, CEO, Consulta Europa, Macaronesia Regional Focal Point – LIFE4BEST programme
- Estelle Crochelet, Indian Ocean Regional Focal Point – BEST2.0+, LIFE4BEST, BEST RUP programmes
17:20 – 17:45 Q&A session with the audience
17:45 – 17:55 Announcement of the new BEST phase: BESTLIFE2030 by Roxana Bucioaca, Senior Manager, IUCN
17:55 – 18:00 Closing remarks by MEP Sara Cerdas
Kindly note that a networking reception at the European Parliament is scheduled to take place after the event