Online Event: Strengthening the business case for industrial decarbonization: CBAM proposal
Tuesday 15 March 2022, 10:00 – 12:00 CET
Hosted by MEP Maria Spyraki
Co-Chair of the European Parliament Intergroup on ‘Climate Change, Biodiversity & Sustainable Development’
Achieving net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 for European energy-intensive industries is a major challenge for the European Union. EU industries, such as cement, steel, chemicals and non-ferrous metals, represent about 15% of the EU’s greenhouse gas emissions. They play a key role in terms employment and provide the European economy with materials which are indispensable to society.
Following the European Green Deal, many of these sectors and companies have voiced their ambition to reach carbon neutrality and reduce emissions. Yet, energy-intensive industries face specific challenges related to their decarbonization, related to the difficulties in reducing CO2 emissions as ‘hard to abate’ sectors, and the risk of carbon leakage. The EU regulatory framework will therefore play a critical role in providing these sectors with a robust business case to support decarbonization investments.
As part of its ‘Fit for 55’ package, the European Commission has issued proposals to introduce a Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism (CBAM). This legislation will play a decisive role to strengthen the business case for decarbonization investments across the EU, but some of its key parameters still have to be defined. As a result, this event organized under the umbrella of the European Parliament Intergroup on ‘Climate Change, Biodiversity and Sustainable Development’ with the kind support of CEMBUREAU, aims at looking in particular at the following questions:
- How can the proposed CBAM support industrial decarbonisation?
- What can be done to maximise CBAM’s effectiveness in tackling carbon leakage? How about exports?
- Going forward, what is the best way to implement CBAM and ensure that it successfully supports decarbonisation efforts in the EU and abroad?
10:00 – 10:05: Welcome remarks by MEP Maria Spyraki, Co-Chair of the European Parliament Intergroup on ‘Climate Change, Biodiversity and Sustainable Development’
10:05 – 10:10: Introduction remarks by Koen Coppenholle, CEO, CEMBUREAU
10:10 – 11:10: Panel discussion, with the participation of:
- MEP Mohammed Chahim, Rapporteur on the CBAM proposal for the ENVI Committee – 7 min
- Pasquale De Micco, Policy Officer, Directorate-General for Taxation and the Customs Union (DG TAXUD), European Commission – 7 min
- Yanni Paniaras, Executive Director, Europe and Sustainability at TITAN Cement Group – 7 min
- Marco Mensink, General Director, Cefic – 5 min
- Nick Keramidas, EU & Regulatory Affairs Director, Mytilineos S.A. – 5 min
- Johanna Lehne, Senior Policy Advisor, E3G – 5 min
- Benjamin Denis, Senior Policy Advisor, IndustriAll – 5 min
11:10 – 11:50: Q&A session with the audience
11:50 – 12:00: Key take-away messages and closing remarks by MEP Maria Spyraki, Co-Chair of the European Parliament Intergroup on ‘Climate Change, Biodiversity and Sustainable Development’